Poet Focus: Kobus Moolman
What is your current profession? How do juggle your work and your writing?
I teach creative writing in the department of English Studies at the University of the Western Cape.
How do I juggle my work and my writing? I don’t. Things fall to the ground around me. Mostly made up of my own projects. But if I can even manage to keep just one ball belonging to me in the air then I am satisfied.
With which person, living or dead, would you most like to have a conversation?
Admiral Horatio Nelson. Don’t ask me why. He was a childhood hero of mine.
What is the most compelling lesson you have learned thus far from the Covid-19 pandemic?
That I am not as mentally strong as I thought I was.
Which poets are you currently reading or which poets inspire you?
I am currently reading Emily Berry, Else Lasker-Schule, Carolyn Forche, Denise Levertov and Johannes Bobrowski.
ADVICE TO NEW/YOUNGER POETS
- Read. Whether poetry or fiction or non-fiction does not matter.
- Take your work It is not a hobby. It matters. It is the only thing that matters.
- Be patient. Be dogged. Persevere in spite of.
BOOKS/MOVIES/SERIES/SOCIAL MEDIA FEEDS YOU ARE READING OR FOLLOWING YOU ARE following DURING LOCKDOWN
- Araby, a 2017 Brazilian film directed by Joao Dumans and Affonso Uchoa
- Bad Seed Teevee: 24hr Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
- Biography of the painter Goya. Written by Robert Hughes